View Single Post
Old 7th May 2005
Gear Maniac

Neve 5106/5116...

the studio that I work out of is thinking about getting a neve 5116. We went and looked at it today. Seems pretty cool but I have never worked on one and I have a few questions...

How hard is it to get parts? The desk comes with a good spares package and has been well kept up but I don't want to get something that is impossible to have worked on.

Power supply? According to the current owners, there is an issue with one of the powersupplys and suggested strongly that we fly some cat (can't remember his name but is a well known neve tech) out from LA to work on it. Is there some big mystery here, like is it way different than any other power supply? How hard will it be to commission this desk, it looks fairly simple. Is there any mystery here?

This board is HUGE and we dont have use for all of it, is there any market for the channel strips out of this board. This one has a compressor/gate and eq one each channel...

Sound quality: This may be a stupid question, given that it's a, but beyond all the hype, is this desk worth the work. Right now we have a Sony 3036. Will this desk be a huge improvement? Having the compressors is way nice....

Thanks in advance,

Reed