View Single Post
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I actually disagree. VHS succeeded entirely because it was the first format that allowed you to watch a feature length movie uninterrupted and this enabled the creation of the video rental industry. This wasn't marketing, it was just lucking into being first with what most people in the real world wanted.
I can't remember well, but aren't Betamax tapes nearly as long as the first VHS ?

Quote:
The reason MCI was succesful is that they brought together a team of leading studio-owners and engineers to define exactly what ought to be in a 24 track recording console and tape machine remote. The reason SSL was successful is that they were smart enough to build on what MCI's team had defined. The reason everybody else has failed is that they ignored it.

Quality doesn't seem to matter much but basic functionality wins every time. It hasn't nearly as much to do with marketing as most marketing people and trade magazine folks would like to believe.

I totaly agree, I was more thinking about consumer products or semi pro products. If you take SSL, MCI, Protools HD etc, I agree with what you said.
BUT ...
I really think you might extend that "basic functionality" criteria to something like a "trendy" criteria. Studio where buying SSL because it was THE desk every good studio should have, the standart you couldn't do without, no matter if you didn't like the sound of it (well, I could name about a dozen desk I like better, at least). Same with Protools : Try to run a Studio without it, it is almost impossible, even if there are better sounding DAW system.

My conclusions saddly are similar to yours, Bob : How about the "sound quality" criteria ?

malice