View Single Post
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Gone Fission
Okay, I've been waiting for years to rechip my board. TL072's with the odd 5532 are the stock chips. Are you saying that just replacing the chips with OP275's nets nothing over the 5532's without transistors helping each stage? Maybe to up the ante on the TLO72 stages without increasing the current draw? (I'm going to upgrade the power supply regardless.)
You ain't askin' me, but I'll take a shot anyway. He's saying nothing really beats the 5532 on all fronts, but there are quite a few better performing chips in certain areas. So it's not as simple as what chip is better than a 5532, it's more what chip is the best compromise of attributes for a given application.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gone Fission
I'm probably going to end up socketing a couple channels, taste testing, and repeating, but it'd probably help if I had a better clue what the hell I was doing instead of semi-randomly doing replacements, especially with the potential for oscillations. Where do I read up on using monolithics, from the basics?

Bear
The manufacturer's data sheets are a good place to start, they've got plenty of applications notes with attached circuit diagrams. Since you're replacing TL072s and 5532s, I'd go to TI.com for the original's data sheets, and compare them to some of the Burr-Brown replacements available through them as well. Check out the my.TI feature to get yourself some free samples of the pricier B-B chips. HTH