View Single Post
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Nut

I'm reading the article, and found this amusing part on the growing popularity of tubes (I shouldn't have to say it, but just in case, I fully understand that this stuff has absolutely no relation to the equipment Manley and other high-end companies make):

Quote:
As a result, manufacturers are stuffing tubes into every component imaginable, including CD players. There are even a few computer sound cards that include a tube or two.
A year or two ago there was a computer motherboard with a tube on it (apparently to 'warm up' the sound of the built-in soundcard, which I'm SUUUUURE is carefully designed to be competitive with current high-end D/A's...cough, hack...) that generated several long threads on rec.audio.pro, and more recently there was the soundcard with a tube coming out the side, thus taking up about three slots. I was never clear on whether the signal actually went through the tube, or if it was just there to 'sag' the power supply. I shouldn't read marketing copy anyway, it rots the brain.

I expect to see these 'tube' things for sale in late-night infomercials...