View Single Post
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
thats just pop music with distortion. bunch of ****ing pussies what cant even play their ****ing instruments. give me a break. ive seen them live. jerk offs.
Hmm, I thought we were talking about great studio recordings, not great live acts. Frankly, I couldn't give a durn about how well a band can reproduce their sound live. I know plenty of monsterously great sounding albums that the band had session musicians play on, and concurrently I've heard lousy sounding albums by bands who were virtuosos on their respective instruments, so who cares? Not to mention "Mechanical Animals" is an amazing, very big-sounding record.

Also, I have to agree with Ol' Betsey for mentioning "Pony Express Record"; it's got these incredible blasts of heaviness popping in and out at unexpected moments. Cool, very underrated album.

My list would be:
Iced Earth - "Something Wicked This Way Comes"
Ministry - "A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste"
Fishbone - "Give A Monkey A Brain & He'll Swear He's The Center Of The Universe"
Bad Religion - "The Enpire Strikes First"
Faith No More - "Angel Dust"
Jane's Addiction - "Ritual De Lo Habitual"
Soundgarden - "Superunknown"
Killing Joke - "Pandemonium"
Bad Brains - "I Against I"
Tub Ring - "Zoo Hypothesis"

Unfortunately, most of these probably don't qualify for "heaviest of the heavy" like you were looking for, teddancin. In some ways we went through the same sort of thing about six months ago when we were mixing Tub Ring's new album, and we wanted to get a few comparison tracks featuring drums that were incredibly fast yet well-recorded. We did find a few (see the albums by Fishbone and Bad Religion from above), but unfortunately most incredibly fast music features a ridiculously clicky kik drum and thin kit, which we personally can't stand. I'm pretty happy with the mixes we ended up with for Tub Ring, though; if you want, you can check out an MP3 on their website of a song we mixed for them. It's called "Sharpening The Sticks", and it's probably the fastest-tempoed song we've ever had to mix (around 300 bpm). It's at www.tubring.com

And to throw our proverbial hat into the Metallica discussion: as much I prefer "Master Of Puppets" and "Ride The Lightning" song-for-song, the pre-"Justice" albums just didn't have up-to-snuff production, at least to our taste. For pure production craft, I'd rather listen to "S&M" or, geez, even "Reload" than "Master" or "Ride". Oh boy, here comes the lynch mob . . .