View Single Post
Old 28th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

what I have seen...

...is the MPC3000, or 2000 is the machine of choice. Most guys just pick samples from anywhere. I keep samples that I like the sound of, and give them to my good clients. Most of the producers seem to have a DJ background, so they have quite a record collection (those 12" round black things), and they usually have some favorite records that they sample from. I am constantly amazed at how they can remember every detail of every record in their collections. I have never seen a producer that I work with do much to the samples except layer them. They get one they like, then add another for punch, another for lo end, etc. Most if not all of the processing takes place in the mix. The above describes Rockwilder, Kanye, Storch, Rodney and Damon E.

A lot of guys ask me to re-sample their drums after the mix, and then re-use them. Most guys only have 4 or 5 samples that they use a lot, but have thousands that they have never used.

I think there is also very good information in this thread. I have already explained how to process drum sounds. As always, if I didn't fully answer the question, please let me know.