View Single Post
Old 25th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Kestral
Hi Dave,

A couple of comments on the gear choices:

1. TC 2290 over the Lexicon PCM 42 delay? Really? I've owned a PCM 42 and I'd have to say along with the Korg SDD-3000 I now own, they are the two best delays I've ever heard. But neither the 42 or 3000 do ducking which the 2290 does. Was that the factor in your decision? And I'd be curious to know how you think Echofarm compares. I did the taste test and found Echofarm lacking (though my studio partner loves it for a "quick and dirty vibe")
The 2290 does things the 42 just doesn't do, or does them in a different capaicity that can or cannot work better, depending on the situation (also depending if the unit has upgrades). The PCM42 is great for a quick, basic delay that sounds good. The 2290 is more indepth. Chorus, Flanger, Tremelo, Autopan, Pan envelope, sample replacing, and things as simple at the 'learn' function. Both are great units, and there's a reason the 42 is usually more expensive than the 2290 on the used market. IMO, that reason is it's ease of use.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kestral

2. I found the Avalon 737's preamp to be quite good (I preferred the Summit Audio MPC-100A) but the the compressor to be not good at all. I'd put the Summit MPC-100A and the Universal Audio 6176. In any case, I've since moved from my Summit to a Neve 1073/Urei 1176 combo and I agree with you, those two pieces are must haves!
The pre in the 737 is it's weak spot to me (I own 2). The EQ is the money of the unit, and the compressor is slow sounding (albiet opto) on the attack but still very useful and sounds great on stereo linked horn busses. All that said and done, I don't think Pensado has had to track anything in the last 10 years.