View Single Post
Old 14th September 2004
Guest Moderator - September 08

Hey man! Tell Colin I said hello...

...what a great singer! Yeah I do remember you. I am gonna answer this question in several segments over the next few days. Like I have said before, it took a lot of time and experimenting to come up with the skills I have, and I can't type as much as it would take to answer quesions like this. Check out some of my mag interviews and answers to some of the other threads, because I have partially answered this. I like to use a combination of samples and gear on drums. For kiks and snares I rarely use pluggins. I know you don't want to hear that, but the out board gear I use is actually not too expensive. Let's take kiks today. I tap off a piece of the original sound, and split it to 3 tracks. The original I EQ with the board (SSL). On the second tap I run it thru a 160XT, ratio 6:1, and knock off enough to get the mid attack or thud to come thru (don't use the Over-Easy in). Run this into an API 550A. Next, take any compresser that has variable attack and release and use kinda fast A/R. Crank the threshold down to knock off 25 or so dB. Run this into any EQ and focus on the attack. You mite have to add 20dB at 10K. Experiment. Now combine all three tracks plus your samples (usually 808 type subby sound, or mid thump sample, etc.) Pick your samples so they don't change the original sound, just make it better. Before you knock this technique try it. I do the same with vocals, snares, bass, guitars, and damn near everything. The beauty of this is that you preserve the dynamics and transients, but still have compression! So your apparent loudness, clarity, and punch are still improved better than if you compressed and EQ'd only the original sound. Can I stop typing now...thanks! More to come on this later....