View Single Post
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

Manley Cardiod Mic

Hi EveAnna,
Looking forward to hearing your and fletchers opinions, ideas, and info this month...
beyond that, do you mind comparing and giving characteristics as well as possible (well-known) female users of your cardiod only mic?
My question stems from the fact that I'm looking for a mic for a project on a female that has an airy (not over silibant) fairly delicate voice with very nice overtones. Somewhat of a cross between Sarah Mclaughlin and Enya (don't laugh).
The two microphones that have worked the best in the past have been a vintage c-12 to tape (I don't know what through) that she used on her first project and then a vintage 251 run through a mastering labs pre to PT on another. The 251 was a bit dark in the mids where she shines, however EQ pulled everything out fine when they mixed.
The c12 has been the best...
So my question is, where does your cardiod only mic sit in (of course, if you were to make generalizations)?
Are there any differences or compromises (besides pattern and diaphram thickness) between that and your gold mic?

I would really like to buy a microphone for the project as I hate throwing away rental money, however due to other costs going on, I can't justify more than $2-3k for a mic and will just hire out as what was planned if need be.

Thanks for your input in advance