View Single Post
Old 9th August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Adler
Ah, yes, I am quite familiar with the budget problem you speak of. What a lot of potential clients just don't understand is that recording services are just that--services. It's easy for bands to understand that in order to put out a CD they will have to put up the $1200 - $1500 for the actual pressing. But, then it's almost as if they assume that the recording part can be done on the cheap, since it's not a tangible product--it's a service. And as for mastering, they often feel quite comfortable with the mixing studio Finalizing the hell out of the master and calling it a day (hey, as long as it's loud, right?).

I don't really see this problem getting any better, at least not around here. Jules mentioned targeting rich college students. Well, I tried that approach and found that if they've got $5000 to spend, then they feel more inclined to buy an MBox or whatever and give it a shot on their own.

On the upside, one area where you might get a leg up is the fact that you have a 2" machine. I used to record a number of punk/emo/ska type bands which would have loved to have been recording to analog. Maybe you can try pushing your facility as a tracking place for these bands. Your rates seem reasonable to me, and maybe some of these kids would be willing to spend the money to at least get their drums and bass tracked to tape. Then you could transfer it to Pro Tools and maybe even get some overdub and mixing work out of it.

Just some thoughts,
Chris
I disagree. Nobody with about 2-5grand to sell out for the recording of their album gives a **** about your 2".
I found that bands that are serious about their music, don't have a problem paying §3000 to have their album produced.
BUT, you better make sure it sounds like a real album and not a demo.
And they definitely care about the mastering. In fact, I find that in the place where I live, bands are getting fed up with all the semi pro studios that all try very hard to look like a studio, but haven't produced one single decent album to back it up. So if they come to my place, they are checking me out to see if I know what I'm doing (and by all means, I'm doing nothing special at all...). And the weird thing is, that my one room small space with some carefully chosen equipment and 1 or 2 albums they heart about gets them quite eager to have me produce their album.

One more thing, since I'm just rambling along.
I think the studio charging pro hour is a thing for the past, unless your walls are covered with photo's of rockstars with their gold and platinum albums hanging next to them...

Just my §0.02,
Dirk