View Single Post
Old 5th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxymoron View Post
I am finding this post very enlightening and would like to chime in with my personal experience. As a recent CE graduate I tried getting a job as an audio engineer for a while, and I have to say that landing a job with a degree in engineering is just as difficult as getting it with a 9-month technical degree (i.e. Full Sail, SAE), and maybe even harder, since they probably look at you more like a technical person and not so much as an artistic or creative person. Why would I go to college for 4 years so I can serve coffee and clean the studio's toilets, and not even get paid for it? lol, I don't get it either. On the other hand if you really are a techie you could get into design and r&d, and there are opportunities going on these days, a few large companies like avid, steinberg/yamaha, apple, sony, mackie(loud or whatever), to name a few and maybe several dozen small plugin and analog companies are worth working for. As for me, well, I've given up on my audio/music dreams for the moment and I am currently working as IT-consultant/programmer. Gotta pay the bills, you know, and it actually pays better

btw, in my opinion, a CE degree is a bit more well-rounded than EE since you get both the hw and sw backgrounds.

Good luck getting a job doing power distribution systems with the CE degree. EE prepares you for all aspects of electrical and electronic system design. But then I don't know where you got the CE degree from. Doesn't seem like they would be spending much time on rf equipment, AC power systems, analog amplifiers, etc., but the world is full of surprises. I have worked back and forth for decades in both software and hardware (with NO degree to boot!) and have seen a lot a EEs in software and zero CEs in electronics.

As to a degree for audio, where, when, and in what universe (since the old days at the BBC) did a degree in anything make a studio want to hire someone? I would agree that a music degree is definitely a plus, but studio engineering is not about the technology, its about the art. There are some amazing engineers who couldn't tell you squat about what is inside. And very, very few of the ones that did could tell you how to design the software that dominated recording today. A technical degree is what you get to go to work for Sony designing studio equipment.

I use to live in Florida, spent a lot time at Full Sail as a musician helping out students in their live, video, and studio programs. I know quite a few people who graduated. Few of them had a career in audio, some actually had no skill whatsoever! A couple have become very successful, the training helped, but the fact that they graduated from Full Sail factored in zero. Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule) doesn't check your resume. You start out small and gain a reputation, that is all that matters, just as if you were a guitarist or drummer.