View Single Post
Old 24th November 2002
Here for the gear

Charles, about gain staging thru plugz

Red eyes, sore back, no sleep, coffee breath, ringing ears, and a pissed off wife, who's mixing their band's demo??? lol...
But, enough about me.
I have been spending just as much time in front of this machine reading all these great posts. Anyway, to the question. Charles, take one channel of your mix, a snare for example, being that there are quite a few plugs that control dynamics (or alter them significantly), not to mention the PT audio track itself, how do you stage the gain of the signal? Do you leave the fader at 0, and back down the signal at the first plugin if it's too hot? Or do you let it pass thru, as long as it's not clipping, until the comp and control the level there? Say the snare went: Dad valve-Gate-RenComp-EQ-Tape, such as your HDL snare chain. Do you keep as much signal as possible through the chain, and pull down the level (if needed) at the last plug, or at he the fader. I would think not at the fader as this would change the signal present at the comp, which you have adjusted so lovingly...
Another example, distorted guitar: your chain, valve-rencomp-reneq-tape. How hard do you hit the rencomp? I don't have the DUY plugs, ,but I do use the AC1 first on such a channel, so it would look like this: AC1-Rencomp-RenEQ (I do use the AC2, but on a bus to save processor power, hey I use LE)..If your guitars were recorded with peaks around -8, who are you gonna call to get the level down to -15 or so? Pull the fader fist? Hit the AC1 hard and turn it down there? Loud as hell until the RComp and compress the full signal a few db, then attenuate the gain with the RComps output? Pass all the way to the EQ and lower it there? Leave it obnoxiously loud because you're gonna get the inevitable 'vocal isn't loud enough' anyway....