View Single Post
Old 29th January 2008 | Show parent
'When I was an undergraduate numerical methods and numerical analysis were fringe subjects, regarded as not really CS, and largely disliked by the students (including me.) Now with the passage of time I can see the extraordinary folly of this. We have entire generations of graduates who write numeric code that is not credible. Issues you see in DAW code can come under this heading too. Ironically I almost ended up teaching the numerical methods course a few years ago. Partly because I was one of the very few who was passionate enough about its importance. Again, no matter what the changes in technology, the underpinning mathematics don't change.'

I started out in school in Aerospace engineering but switched to a non-technical major after living through (but only barely) all of the math and physics. I've since become a programmer and I've found that all of that math is actually pretty cool and useful and now it's what I'd like to do (as well as make recording gear). I think math, above all else, is the final frontier when it comes to software and hardware design. Anyways, for those who may be interested there's a great series of books, The Art of Computer Programming by D.E. Knuth:

The Art of Computer Programming

I found a copy of Volume 2 in a used book store for $20, a real steal. While the math in these books is geared towards computers and programming, there's a whole bunch of useful stuff for anyone who likes or needs to crunch numbers. I say nobody can go wrong by learning more math.
Show replies