View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2002
Threats, Lies & Audiotape

Recently a manager said he wanted to come and approve mixes with the band (fine with me) but that he also wanted to run them past a new promotions person and be able to come back to me with any changes...

This pisssed me off somewhat, I felt he was lacking in backbone, my normal deal is the band and anyone closely associated with the project can come to the studio...

Anyhow, I responded that any changes insisted on by this new person or anyone else (that I hadn't been introduced to already) would be chargeable at a ( VERY high $$$) per day extra rate above the agreed budget. This was a threat. The manager IMHO was in error about to invite someone not normally used to mix approval to approve these up coming mixes.

So I became mildly aggressive to back him off, concentrate his mind and teach him a lesson (after all I am not invited to comment of promotion strategy or artwork selection!) I DID however offer if they HAD to be involved they should come down to the mix and speak up in front of everyone...

Unfortunately my personality can tend toward the 'abrasive' / combative nature. I regret I can't say I am a very smiley 'everything's cool type'. I work on short projects most of the time, probably for good reason...

So

Threats & Lies

What have you threatened or lied about with your clients / artists for the good of the project?

I find a lot of my job with upcoming Alt Rock acts is "managing" the managers.