View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by polysoniq View Post
With all due respect George, I used to run a neve room with lots of toys including a pair of early model distressors ,I have also produced and mixed in SSL & API rooms.With regard to the distressors - While I agree that they are versatile they always sounded as if they had a disproportionate amount of third order harmonics to me and slightly harsh.I have had success tracking vox snares & kicks with them but these days I,m mostly using drum samples and im not doing a lot of rock .I play bass keys and guitar and some tracks live some sequenced,Im currently doing a lot of writing and from experience I know that there is more than one way to get results . I dont like distressors(distortion box)Granted ,I havent heard the fatso.
Do you have any other reccomendations ?
Thanx for the reply
hehheh ok.. you really got me.. heh

do you remember how you dialed them in? we usually use dist3 and slitght compression on heavy guitars.

I agree, that it's not the "best" comprssor for focals.

to be honest, I think the Tubetech CL-2a is my goto for focals and overheads.

again, I think the buzzaudio SOC-1.1 plays in the same ballpark.

that is a matter of taste. do you have the chance, to rent stuff, to try it out?

I have a pair of LA4 (blackface, with modification. they had a serious curcuitdesignproblem). I like them on acoustic guitar, and kick.

never tried the summit (I rent the EQ usually). the EQ is killer, but that was not your question.

I never used any drawmer gear, except some for live and I replaced those drawmer gates with apex gates. happy now.

RNC is an FX-compressor. you should have one handy