View Single Post
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Price View Post
I wanted to throw in my $0.02 here.

Some quick stats: over 50% of spinART Records (my former label) album sales for the past three years occurred in iTunes US.

Yes, 50%.

Digital sales are NOT some small % of the market place.

This year alone TuneCore customers - which is a VERY small % of all music creators - will sell (or stream for revenue) over 10 million songs.

between TuneCore, CD Baby and Nimbit you are looking at between 30 - 40 million songs generating DIRECT revenue for tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of ARTISTS.

This represent approximately $18,000,000 to $22,000,000 in FOUND revenue. Without companies like TuneCore, CD Baby and Nimbit this revenue would not have existed.

On a quick side not, the RIAA states in large letters on its homepage that:

" RIAA members create, manufacture and/or distribute approximately 90% of all legitimate sound recordings produced and sold in the US"

I believe this to be dead wrong. I suspect that over 99% of the users of TuneCore, CD Baby and Nimbit are NOT RIAA members.

I now believe they RIAA represents LESS than 10% of all those that create manufacture and/or distribute approximately all legitimate sound recordings produced and sold in the US.
Jeff / Derek -
I was wondering if CD Baby & Tunecore report sales to the RIAA for their mid-year and year end "U.S. Manufacturers' Unit Shipments and Value Charts" - RIAA

If not - I'm wondering if you have ever contacted them regarding this as I believe (unless I'm mistaken) that they are interested in having the most accurate figures available that they can (which would hopefully mean more accurate reporting of independents).

Best regards,
Steve Berson