View Single Post
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

I have several things I'd like to say...but this first post is one that I'd like to make specifically because we never really nail this one to the wall in any discussion. (Music industry people who aren't part of the majors that is)

Brand led marketing is a big problem here too. I think people are worn out on the majors banking on pushing a new artist for a couple of singles...while over saturating the radio and TV market with the same tiny play list. Clear Channel Broadcasting has a lot of answer for too. It's too expensive for indie artists to break into, and the exposure is great...but it's also so expensive that people are growing bored with the lack of diverse content. They're losing listeners. Hell they lost me almost ten years ago. But now they're numbers are way down.

You can complain about file sharing all you want. But it's not like the songs people are stealing are genius. It's all calculated pop formulas that have been overused to an extent that most top 40 singles resemble nursery rhymes more than songs. The American consumer is being told that he / she is too stupid to like anything different, and they've grown tired of being treated like idiots. I think the buying public is smarter than that, and wants new technology and mass media merging into to cool new forms of entertainment that feature music. I think that great bands landing TV and film soundtrack work have been huge for digital download sales on ITunes and the like because of this. I'm sorry that an American Idol winner can't be the voice of a generation, but that involves actually nurturing musical genius from time to time.