View Single Post
Old 27th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I cant help thinking the internet slaps a big wet ironic paintbrush across the face of some musicians..
I love that quote...

Quote:
Musician as PR mastermind?
Musician as PR campaign coordinator?
or is it..
Musician as totally overloaded multi-tasking basket case?

There seems to be a lot of 'Er... now what do I do" out there!
Great points, Jules. It's been asked before (for dozens of years), but... when will musicians be able to be musicians rather than mediocre PR campaign coordinators? The internet "democratization" has simply created another opportunity for musicians to get swept into kinds of work they're not well suited nor well experienced at doing. A few individuals make a few bucks at it, which becomes "proof" of the "democratization," while the hoardes of musicians for whom this strategy produced no payoff simply generate more revenue for News Corp/FOX.

That said, I've noticed that myspace can be useful for certain kinds of artists trying to book tours of underground venues. A lot of venues and promoters are somewhat easy to find on myspace, so that simplifies one aspect of work.

Another thing I'll throw out there:

Myspace (or bebo or any music-focused social networking site) makes it possible for anyone to get access to random sonic barrages from millions of unknown struggling artists from all over the world. Does it actually increase consumer enjoyment of music, or rather oversaturate and overload the poor consumers, for whom everything becomes a huge audible blur? I'm getting the sense that a major effect of myspace, for many consumer-users, is to sort of desensitize individuals towards feeling music. It cheapens music's value, rendering it more irrelevant. I'm not convinced that myspace is healthy in the long run for the music sector.