View Single Post
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

right this moment is an excellent time to get a brand new 667 from mac mall if they still have them left for $2k. If they don't have those left...definately go for a new 1k with superdrive, incredible value...I bought my 667 back in Feb and it's lost 33% of it's value in less than a year. I wouldn't buy a used one...!!!

That being said...getting to the good stuff...

I travel a lot...I'm in an airport on average at least 2 days a week. I do so many things on it. I have all my planners, Internet and Digital Performer, ProTools LE (mbox), Reason, Recycle, SoftSampleCell...
Digital performer is very flexible with a 828firewire interface, although I don't use it anymore, 24 tracks of ProTools LE is pretty powerful as well...I also have some video apps that I can get some stuff done with ...

but...the best part for me is that I have a 4 slot magma with ProTools HD3 with a 192interface. The system is rock solid, has never crashed yet. I pack all of this and headphone amp, hard drives, and headphones as a carry on. I travel with at least another person, so it really takes up two carry ons...
ProTools HD is setup on another partition with seperate operating system. This way the system is bare...and I can use MBox in the plane for edits, etc on the other OS partition...

The system is used as live playback for multitracks and effects in concerts...and as a portable writing rig...as well as being used in actual sessions no matter where they are, without having to rent, reconfigure, transfer, etc...

So as far as your 8 track recording question...an Ibook can handle 24 tracks at least on it's own with some plugins...the Titanium depending on what format is quite impressive...

So the possibilities are more than endless...it just depends on how much money you want to put out.