View Single Post
Old 1st October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Well most of the big studios here seem to still use 2in. Oceanway, conway, electric lady etc But Im sure your right. There may be many protools studio that have won grammys. Maybe I was wrong.

But saying you use protools these days could mean you have a $200 mbox le setup or Protools HD. Pretty wide difference in quality huh? I think hd sounds crappy in comparison to 2in analog, Radar or even ssl soundscape. Their converters are just average.

To me If I was a reputable grammy winning producer the first thing I would do is distance myself from a product such as protools.

I have never won a grammy I know I never will. I'll never engineer or produce a gold record but I'll never use protools either cuz I think it sounds bad.

If protools and similar DAW's are so good, why do all the big name studio still house SSL's and similar large format consoles??? Why do they still have studers? Why do they have racks of outboard?
Cuz protools is so good?? hmmm....
I'll be the first one to agree that SSLs+other large format consoles, racks of outboard etc are a good thing, and most people hiring a facility to work in will expect them.

If you don't like PT, that's also up to you.

All the large studios definitely DO have the analogue machines - they just don't work on them very often. Even back in 2002 when I had the good fortune to be a runner at Abbey Road for 6 months, most work was done to Pro Tools (usually using Prism converters), with 3348 machines as a backup. The most use the 2inches got was being shuttled around the corridors, being moved out of the way.

There were several notable exceptions, but in general computers saw a lot more use even then - and I can only imagine there's even less being done to tape there now.