View Single Post
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
Very nice!
I can imagine that that is a fun space to get great tones!!
I always wondered why the api 212 are not more popular (since they put them in their flagship consoles), and also why the 200 series didn’t boom (yet)..

I understand that is smaller and there’s less space to deal with, BUT a simple hp/lp filter, great sounding 2 band eq’s, or a simple compressor (like the 225) could be done (as api proves) and in today environment a small 10x2 mini console made with these modules could be a very cool thing..

How do you find the 212 compared to their (more popular) 512?
(or compared to the MA5.. which of course is a different beast but I see more and more of them lately.. finally )

Cheu
I cut my teeth at a studio that used to have an API Legacy Plus 48 channel with 24 212L’s. I think they are the best of the best that API ever made. You can put them in an L200 lunchbox but they obviously sound the best in a console. They have a sound that I would describe as sweeter and, more open than the 512, 3124 and the pres in the 1608 console, whie still having the famed API punch and speed. I hear an upper midrange harshness in modern API pres and EQ’s that I don’t hear in the 212’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➡️
Always a pleasure seeing your set-ups. Really! Thanks for contributing so much to this thread!

R.
Thank you and you’re welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Love your posts, @ thismercifulfate ! Looks like a great set-up.

Where is Flora located? Love to visit sometime.
It’s in northeast Portland, Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
Good golly! Looks like fun man!!
It sure is!