View Single Post
Old 15th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post

would you think it would have helped you to get a studio job if you would have had (support from) a mentor? and did you have any role models? besides gender quota, what do you think would help a younger generation of females to get a job in our business?
I had no female mentors or role models. All my university lecturers were male. They were the ones who recognised my talent and potential.

I believe I am the last person to offer advice about breaking into the music tech industry as I wasn't successful in doing so. However, since you asked, I would suggest the following....

I would first recommend women consider location. Some places offer minimal opportunities whilst other regions of the world are more alive in the Arts. I realise this is a problem during 2020 as one cannot just fly off to wherever they please, but post COVID 19, consider locations in the world where more opportunities exist.

Having some basic skill sets will help. Tenacity and not fearing rejection will help.

Volunteering for free may be a winning ticket but be careful. You want to give your free time so you can make connections and learn, not get used and abused!

If you can acquire some capital from somewhere, you could attempt to start up your own business.

Remember Albert Einstein's definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It it's not working for you, change what you are doing or how you are thinking.

Finally, perhaps consider other career options and just keep music production/tech as a hobby. Sometimes when we do what we love for a living, it becomes a little staid and isn't as exciting anymore as we're doing it all the time.

On a side note, consider that BA degrees and certificate courses in fun and creative areas like computer gaming, digital animation, music production etc. are offered by entities that are really just businesses at the end of the day. They promote exciting courses to make money, and you may end up with just a piece of paper and a promise unfulfilled. Swarms of individuals flock to do these courses for a dreamy opportunity to have a career doing something they love. I wager these sort of jobs are scarce, often pay little, are not of a permanent or reliable nature with excessive hours.

I previously worked with a teacher who had a degree in digital animation. Some of the people he studied with travelled south to take on jobs at the Disney studios in Sydney, but were back within a year because it just didn't pay enough.

I will quote my late mother. 'Think with your head, not just with your heart'.