thread: Future of Music
View Single Post
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeKitten View Post
I'm confused by what you mean by "moral decline" and "moral decadence" etc? Do you view the past as being "better" by moral standards? If so, why? I would totally disagree, and i'm curious (and slightly alarmed) at how you came to this conclusion.

Of course there's still soul and emotion in modern music. People haven't changed, and their desire to communicate, connect and tell stories hasn't changed either. In parallel there has always been an easy "popular/consumable/product" mentality within the industry too. That's not unique to this generation of music - not by a long shot - and has existed as long as any form of 'music industry' has. The only things that have changed are the popular tastes and the tools available to make and market it. I get rather frustrated when people talk about 'modern music' as if it's one single, defined entity. One devoid of the artisty, creativity, emotion and/or skill of days gone by. That's just not true. In the era of home production and directly connecting with you audience via the internet, there's (arguably) no better time for real, unfiltered art and emotions channeled through music. You no longer need to keep in mind the business interests and the filtering, control and shaping from a label to reach your audience. There's a lot to go through, for sure, but arguably it's never been easier to sit at your laptop, have a good search through and find a song/album/artist that really resonates with you. Far too easy to compare the legends from the past to the mediocre or rubbish from today and behave as though they are equally representative of their generation. A top 10 artist from today simply can't represent this vague notion of "modern music", as even within genres there can be so much variety. Likewise a legend from the past shouldn't be held as a representative for all music from that era - there was a lot of trash there too, that gets rather conveniently forgotten behind rose tinted glasses. I've said it before on this forum and i'll say it again - music moves on, taste moves on, and the next generation of musicians and audiences want a soundtrack to their own "glory days", not be stuck re-living someone else's.

The tech has changed, for sure, and I can understand it can be quite overwhelming. I can get lost in sound banks for hours, and sometimes you can find a sound that can be super inspiring for either an atmosphere, a theme or a mood. That can totally trigger a new song idea - at least for me (don't want to speak for anyone else). I personally find it more exciting tbh.
"music moves on, taste moves on, and the next generation of musicians and audiences want a soundtrack to their own "glory days", not be stuck re-living someone else's."

This is a great insight and your message overall is encourageming having a positive outlook towards future which inspires me to move on from past to future. Thank you