View Single Post
Old 27th October 2020 | Show parent

Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
My thoughts as I see your dream studio gets more squeezed, compromised, and intrusive into your inside and outside family space, is that you might look for a nearby commercial building or space to buy or lease.
Hi Bushman, thanks for posting!

In theory, if money were no object, it would be quite ideal to own a building and build out a pro commercial studio. Owning the real estate is probably the only way to protect any investment in a studio in 2020, though I’m not an expert. Maybe that’s a goal for my 50’s. But part of what we are doing is trying to reduce our financial footprint by eliminating an existing lease (the room I’m now paying now) during these really unstable times.

The room I’m currently in, while purpose built, is also compromised in that a) I’m a month to month sub-lease and the LL is constantly threatening to increase the rent and b) they keep putting loud tenants around me (like a stationery bike studio and a karate studio) which compromises the room since it was not built to be ‘sound proof’ past a certain level. The studio used to be the only thing in the basement so they didn’t have to worry about it back then. Now there are lots of tenants down there and the studio’s days are clearly numbered. Having watched the end of this play out in the past few years, I am not looking to become a studio owner in a building I’m renting, improve the LL’s asset and then eventually get squeezed out and lose all my investment. You know? At least if I build something crazy in my house, it’s mine...for better or worse...lol.

In terms of our city, because of the relative proximity to NYC and the mass migration of folks fleeing the city due to COVID and buying up everything in sight over the past few months, the RE market is absolutely off the charts here right now. Home prices have appreciated 200% since March. Articles in the WSJ and NYT documenting our city’s recent RE market have been published recently. The last time this happened in this city was 9-11 for the same reasons. Not sure about commercial spaces though. Besides, even if we did buy a building (investors, etc), then I’d be back to having monthly overhead (RE taxes, insurance, utilities, etc.). Which is why I see having something in/at the house as the most viable long term plan that I can accomplish with the given budget. At least if we don’t think about the potential zoning issues for a second. Though I am open to brainstorming and ideas.

So yes, the dream is getting squeezed and compromised. But I’m trying to take a good thing (a good budget) and find a solution at the house we love (and already have) in order to remedy a bad thing (a room full of gear that day by day becomes an unusable and unstable situation I’m not in control of). The nightmare scenario I’m really trying to avoid is being kicked out of the studio with no place to put all my gear and absolutely no plan of what to do.

It’s odd because as I consider some of the feedback and concerns from folks, while absolutely valuable and has already uncovered facets of the project I did not consider, I feel like the general subtext is “don’t do it in the house, it’s too hard, etc”. But I have this weird feeling if I had already refurbed the attic and it was just a big empty room that we could take back to the studs and I started posting for advice on how to turn it into a really nice home studio, I’d be getting more support and would be able to find someone to help me design something really comfortable. Putting aside the room I’m in now, historically speaking, I’m coming from just regular rooms with treatment on the walls etc, in whatever apartment/home I’ve been in for the past twenty years. I still made music and produced audio. It wasn’t ideal but was fine. Now I’m in a position where I finally own the building, can sort of do what I want to a point, have a budget, and it seems like folks are saying don’t bother. Is it because you kind folks are commercial studio owners and just can’t imagine producing audio a purpose-built but ultimately compromised home studio? Are we coming at this from two different extremes? Where are my home studio warriors going “yeah! That’s what I did and it’s awesome!” Hahahaha.

Finally, I’ve been reading Rod’s book and am about 1/3 of the way through. It’s astounding as everyone knows. But it seems to provide practical things that you can do to elicit acceptable results from a home studio build. Especially in a situation like mine where we are building something new on the house (addition or outbuilding). We might not have the ideal SQF or ceiling heights or location, but by hiring a professional designer and incorporating as many of Rod’s designs as we can, doesn’t it seem like we will be able to mitigate some of those shortcomings and ultimately design something we can be proud of and produce great sounding audio in? Am I wrong about that?

Maybe I confused the situation in describing multiple options, etc. so I apologize if I got us all in the weeds. But I guess the simple question is still: If I work with a proper studio designer / architect, structural engineer and GC, is it possible to build a nice home studio in the attic that will be somewhere between 280 and 330 finished SQF that will allow me to produce professional grade audio?

Just trying to keep the dream alive here. Thanks everyone!
Wade