View Single Post
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambony View Post
I've used Logic and Reaper loads and ProTools and Cubase quite a bit over the years.
- Logic kills for keyboard composition and sound content/virtual instruments and is excellent value
- Cubase is great for step input MIDI and creating "beats" and is quite expensive
- ProTools kills for audiook editing and post and is crazy expensive
- Reaper kills for music editing, mixing and plugin count and costs virtually nothing
They all pretty much do the same thing but have different strengths and weaknesses. You must find the DAW and tools that fit your workflow, aesthetic and general approach.

I find it a little childish to slate Reaper for having a simple GUI. That is really not scratching the surface of the DAW but I understand some people need to be visually gratified and that's completely understandable. However some Reaper themes look incredible but add nothing to its functionality. Reaper comes into its own when you customise it to meet your workflow needs. I can understand that many users want no part in this.

No DAW is the best fit for everybody.

Tony
Logic’s stock sounds/virtual instruments are about as game-changing as the Kontakt Factory Library, or HALion Factory content. It’s great to people who are just starting out and have low budgets with little extra money to shell out for better 3rd party stuff, but it’s not really a reason I’d choose Logic over another DAW. This goes for other DAWs that include lots of OOTB content, as well.

Cubase is, perhaps, the best all-around/generalist DAW on the market, right now. Great for recording and editing Audio, arranging, MIDI Composition, etc. There really isn’t another DAW on the market as well rounded. I can’t really say it is undeserving of its price tag.

Pro Tools’ perpetual price is on par with Cubase Pro. Most people who are using Pro Tools in a home studio are unlikely to need Pro Tools | Ultimate, which is more comparable to DAWs like Sequoia, Pyramix and others (which actually cost MORE than Pro Tools | Ultimate - so Avid isn’t really robbing the bank, here).

REAPER is decent for mixing and editing, but the issue is the UI/UX (and workflow, as an extension) is pretty rugged. If you pour in the hours needed to “make it your own,” you can get a decent setup. But I’d still hate looking at it (themes can’t fix the fundamental issues in the REAPER UX, for me), and the Workflow is still going to be “typical REAPER.”

REAPER just comes across looking and feeling like a typical F/OSS application. Technically, it’s brilliant, but the usability is definitely a 5th priority in the minds of the developers.

Additionally, if Music Production is your main profession, then REAPER costs more than Logic Pro X, Cakewalk by BandLab, and not considerably less than the Crossgrade you get get to other DAWs. Competing on price only works well for it in the pirate/hobbyist market.

To industry professionals, the price of the DAW really is a drop in the bucket. Most costs are in other areas (hardware/equipment, plugins, etc.).