View Single Post
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?

Hi from Spain! Sorry in advance for the long post!

This is my first post but I have been lurking Gearslutz for many years, it is my go to place for getting info on gear and is in part responsible for my guitar pedal hoarding "problem". I have also visited the acoustics subforum many times and I am familiar with the most basic concepts I think.

So I am moving to a new house next December, and I was planning how to set my stuff up. I am going to use one of the rooms as my home studio. I make music for the media and record and mix my own stuff. So this won't be a professional studio but still trying to get the best out of it.

I wanted to ask you guys' opinion on desk/monitor placement, and basic treatment.

A few important things about the room:

- Slanted wooden ceiling
- Column in the corner is a chimney that comes from the first floor
- Walk in closet

Measures for this room:

5m long x 3.55m wide x 2.17m tall (low ceiling) 2.94m tall (high ceiling)

16ft 4in long x 11ft 7in wide x 7ft 1in tall (low ceiling) 9ft 7in tall (high ceiling)

A few pics of the empty room:

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-03.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-01.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-02.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-04.jpg

My first thought was to place the desk like this:

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-aa.jpg

I understand it is better to have the desk near the short wall, but the slanted ceiling makes the room very asymmetrical this way. Setting it up the way I have, next to the long wall with the low ceiling, also is asymmetrical because of the column, windows and closet.

I have asked different people I trust and got opposite answers. What do you guys think will be less problematic? My current room is a square (I know lol) and has mode problems which sucks but the assymetry caused by a 3 door closet on one side, and a window on the other, really messes with my stereo image. I would like to avoid this in my new room if possible.

A few screenshots of a little 3D model I did so you can see clearly (didn't know how to model the ceiling sorry):

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-7367bc2f6ec29f77c1a1e99e856e6d1668d820ae.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-1630ca0d3c5ac561737302b06d72e5a34242126c.jpg

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-cf4522f26fe30ae9caa0c580f74bec0b96cb3103.jpg

My other question is regarding treatment. In my current room I have one of those Auralex Roominator kits. This was before I knew about how they do nothing for low/mid frequencies. The foam panels did help take care of reflections and flutter echo though. I plan on using the panels for the early reflections, as seen in the 3D model. The grey panels on the wall are supposed to represent 2 auralex panels each. I have 16 panels in total.

I was thinking of adding a couple of bass traps in the front corners for now (budget is very limited) and maybe a couple more in the opposite corners when I have the money. Ideally I would use Tri-Traps, but the column is not going to allow me to place them correctly. Would Monster traps on boom stands, placed at a 45º angle, be my best option?

And lastly, with the Auralex kit came 8 of their LERND "bass" "traps", which I "lernd" do nothing under 250Hz. Can I use those in any way to help with the absorption? Or should I just make a foam fort for my dogs?

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention is that any treatment on the ceiling is out of the question (girlfriend lol)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if I can add any info to make it easier to answer please let me know. At the moment I can't do audio measurements because people are still living there and I am not moving until December.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-01.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-02.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-03.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-04.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-1630ca0d3c5ac561737302b06d72e5a34242126c.jpg  

Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-7367bc2f6ec29f77c1a1e99e856e6d1668d820ae.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-aa.jpg   Desk placement (slanted ceiling) + Bass traps?-cf4522f26fe30ae9caa0c580f74bec0b96cb3103.jpg