View Single Post
Old 13th September 2020 | Show parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskman View Post
Lovely, very philosophical.

Have you any suggestions for the best location for the sweet spot based on my room dimensions.

I have to form a triangle that means my monitors and me are 125cm apart.( I have a door to the right of the right monitor on the front wall)

Thankou.
The only thing you can do if you want a real answer is to take the time to calculate it. Takes a few hours but it's worth it.

It's simple, will require a basic pocket calculator functions and speed of sound over distance and difference of distance between direct and reflected sound paths as a variable (usually called the "Delta" between time variables).

With that you can easily determine what's going on and what compromise you're getting yourself into. Draw simple sketches and graphs. You will see how it's all changing and where the response is maybe better (but again, your global time domain response / decay time will remain globally just as it is)

Doing that in parallel to using software like REW is eye opening.

The actual solution is treatment at the boundaries though. Location of speakers is very much intertwined with that.

You will also notice that a good starting point in a lot of cases is with the speakers right against the front wall. The bass boost you get is pretty much minimum phase, so for once you can simply use a shelf EQ to compensate for it. And that way you take some of the reflections out of the equation and push some issues way up in the midrange where they are much less noticeable, depending on speakers cabinet size and dispersion characteristics.

Only when a room acoustics "problem" is minimum phase can EQ be used to compensate.

Otherwise, if not minimum phase which are 99.9% of room acoustics problems: the physics of it is that you can't fix a time domain problem in the frequency domain. Because the frequency response in the room is a function of the time response. Time = phase. Putting an EQ doesn't fix a phase issue. It still cancels or sums up (and rings), whether or not you add or remove energy.

Contrary to the 38% thing, that is a very real thing.

If you don't want to do it, there are some websites around that can help with basic estimates like these. A quick Google search will yield a lot of results.
Show replies