View Single Post
Old 8th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaucoup d’amour View Post
Hi John, congrats on the EP, it sounds amazing! Thanks also for sharing how you approached its mixing, it's very interesting.

Sorry if i’m being off-topic but I was wondering how you deal with drum transients - either real drums & percussions or raw analog drum machines such as 808s - when you’re not purposely clipping them as an effect. I always find myself struggling with these when trying to achieve “clean” loudness and yet retain punch and dynamics so that the track plays as well on radio as in clubs. I find that using compressors with a fast attack eats up the transients and punch while a slow attack accentuates them, thus killing loudness. How do you manage to get both if you don’t mind my asking?
Thanks.

This is a tough one I think because there probably isn't one solution.

Some things will get some "transient designer" type manipulations, others just volume rides. Get the attack right where you like it is the key, then you can use volume to manipulate the rest of the sound.

I really don't pay attention specifically to radio and club sound. I try to make it sound good for where I'm at and hope that it translates well.