View Single Post
Old 13th September 2007

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
Yeah I wish that Max dude would answer some more of the questions posted. Another question was, does the DUET also includes premium Apogee technologies such as “SoftLimit”, “UV22HR”, and “Intelliclock”?
I'll tell you what, I'll see if I can't pinch-hit for Max with some deductive reasoning ...

SoftLimit is an analog-stage soft-knee limiter intended to help users avoid digital clipping that may arise from transients or, more commonly, from stupidity. With digital headroom of 144 db, you'd think people would just turn their levels down, but old habits die hard.

Anyway, Duet may have SoftLimit but appears not to. It's not in any of the promotional materials, nor does any SoftLimit on/off switch appear to be on the Duet hardware or in the Maestro control panel for Duet.

Don't worry, though, you're not missing much. It does what it's supposed to, but it doesn't sound that great. And more to the point, there's no sonic advantage to using it, because you'd get better sonic quality as an end result by using a 10 db pad instead.

UV22HR is hardware-based dithering. It converts 24-bit digital audio to 20-bit or 16-bit digital signals. There is no reason for it to be on the Duet, which has no digital input with which to input a 24-bit signal, and no digital output with which to output the dithered 20-bit or 16-bit signal.

20-bit dithering used to be used for digital recording, either into 20-bit DAW interfaces (like the original Digidesign ADAT Bridge) or 20-bit ADATs. It's still used for DVD-Audio sometimes but not for much else. 16-bit dithering is used all the time, of course, for mastering CD's from 24-bit mixes, but most DAW users make use of software-based dithering, which is built into some multitrack and mastering programs and also some limiter plug-ins, like Sonnox Limiter or Waves L2 or L3. It is safe to say that most folks who own an Apogee product with UV22HR are not actually using it, because dithering in hardware is simply far less convenient than in software.

Intelliclock is really just clocking and re-clocking with minimized jitter. Duet has no word clock input nor any digital audio input from which to derive a clock. Still, it must have a clock for its converters, and it also must be able to sync to an external clock via Firewire. So we'll call this one a "maybe."

Just my opinion, but these technologies are not anything worth worrying about as far as the Duet is concerned. None of them would affect my buying decision, pro or con.

JSL