View Single Post
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

iZotope RX 7 - processing order

I'm currently archiving hundreds of field interviews conducted on microcassette. These are being transferred to 24 bit/96 kHz WAV archive files; the next job is to clean them up to make listening copies. I do this in iZotope RX 7 Standard.

Microcassette technology was band-limited from about 400 Hz to about 4 kHz. (Make sense since they were mostly used for voice recording.) So I make an initial pass with the EQ tool, with a hi-pass shelf set at 200 Hz and a lo-pass at 6 kHz. Then I run Voice De-noise.

My thinking is that by first filtering out the "missing" audio frequencies, I make the Voice De-noise tool's job "easier." But is this a valid assumption? I notice I can drag both ends of the curve in Learn mode to somewhat mimic the EQ. (see attachments)

Also, I use De-Hum (if necessary) before Voice De-noise, since I've learned that Voice De-noise doesn't do a very good job on hum. Does that make sense?

Thanks to anyone who's used RX 7 in a similar project. I'd love to hear about your workflow.

All best,
Lars
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
iZotope RX 7 - processing order-screen-shot-2020-08-14-9.08.45-am.jpg   iZotope RX 7 - processing order-screen-shot-2020-08-14-9.07.10-am.jpg