View Single Post
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megakazbek View Post
This plugin is nice.
I don't think it's entirely valid to compare this to NeuralDSP in tone characteristics since Neural modeled different amps. I did some comparisons to Mercuriall Reaxis as it also models Mesa Mark series and it was tough to decide what I like better. ML5 seems to be more focused but at the same time a little bit more flat and two dimesional, while Reaxis is more detailed and the response is more nuanced, but it's somehow not as tight as ML5. If not for that tightness difference, I'd figuratively say that Reaxis is like a real amp and ML5 is like a Kemper clone of that amp.
As for stock IRs, they are pretty always meh in any plugin. NeuralDSP, Mercuriall, ML5 all have average quality nothing special IRs, so I always use some 3rd party ones.
I had a TriAxis/2:90/Recto cab for many years - at two points in my life around 20 years apart. I agree Mercuriall did a great job with the Reaxis. One thing I especially like about the Reaxis is how the purity of the tone of the guitar comes through - almost like like a Tube Screamer where some dry signal is blended in with the affected sound. That said, that is not what the TriAxis actually sounds like. I ended up selling the combo because it sounded fairly flat and lifeless, or, to use your words, two dimensional. Many current guitar tones, especially the heavier ones, are a lot more present than they were back when the TriAxis was current.

Comparatively, I think the ML5 sounds dynamic and three dimensional whereas the Reaxis sounds fairly flat and lifeless, and definitely lacks the transience of the ML5.

Regarding your point about the IRs - which IRs do you prefer? Can you post some clips using the ML5 with your preferred IRs versus the stock ones?