View Single Post
Old 6th August 2020
Deleted dc388e1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
You are correct; I was using digital to mean solid state, not tube-driven.
Fair enough, but you probably wouldn't say football when you meant baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
As for your thinking on tonal superiority, I doubt it; if opamps sounded better boutique amp makers, especially those already using PCB construction, would be shifting to that - but from what I can see, they're not. But would be interested to see any quality amps that use op amps for reverb driver/recovery over tubes.
If you re-read my post, you'll see I didn't claim either method was tonally superior. I said I thought the op-amp was technically better at doing the job, but I'm not an electronics engineer and wasn't making a definitive statement.
How good or bad the reverb sounds - be it valve or op-amp driven - will have more to do with how well the circuit is designed and integrated into the amp, than the technology used. There have been plenty of lacklustre valve driven reverb circuits over the years - for example, Vox used a single ECC83 to drive the reverb in the AC30 for a while, producing a predictably weak sound.

There are some 'boutique' amps which use SS technology to drive the reverb. Hamstead is the first which springs (no pun intended) to mind:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ks-artist-20rt

I'm pretty sure I've come across a few others over the years.

The elephant in the room here is that - rightly or wrongly - a lot of us slavishly think valves = better. Amp makers are wise to this, and so valve reverb becomes as much a status symbol as a means of driving the tank.
Advertising a 'highly efficient op-amp reverb driver' wouldn't sell many amps, perhaps if we were less biased (pun intended) towards our vintage tech, it would...

Last edited by Deleted dc388e1; 6th August 2020 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: syntax