View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

Taking apart an AKG D310

Preamble

Hey, first time posting so let me know if I'm in the wrong place but I recently bought a D310 off reverb. It was the kind of old that soil fell out of the mesh when you tapped the grill so I took the head apart and brushed or washed anything that seemed brushable or washable, left it for a couple of days to dry and put it back together. Gave it a try and it was sounding alright so I was happy.

Earlier today I plugged it into a fethead phantom and nothing came through. Tried on a condenser and another dynamic and they were working fine so I worried that maybe this was the sort of old that meant the phantom power fried it somehow. I tried opening it up again and found that the white wire was completely loose. I don't know if I did something to knock it loose or if it just happened to be brushing the contact when I tried the first time but it definitely isn't connected now.

The question
All I can see on this that can be unscrewed is the head and one screw above the XLR connector but when I take that out the XLR connector doesn't want to move anywhere. Do I just need to give it a hard knock in one direction or the other or is there something else I need to be doing?

I realise this is something ludicrously simple so thank you if you've read this far.