View Single Post
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaDSP View Post
I toyed with the Gate when looking at vocal processing - Tim Hamill over at Sonic One studios in Wales had some great results using the drive on vocals but in my not-quite-as-high-end studio testing setup I was picking up too much noise which interfered with high levels of focus. Gate was a way to cut out this noise and any breathing, etc.. If I was to develop that into a UI exposed feature I'd want to add soft open close of the gate, and perhaps some other typical gate features (hold etc...). In the end though this was dangerously close to feature creep / bloat as it is not core to what Boost does, I held it back.

Expansion is a very experimental feature, I have some ideas, but please don't count on it behaving the same way in future versions. This is why it is hidden away. A novelty easter egg that was discovered on the very first day.

Stereo link seems pretty straight forward in terms of what I need to add and how it should behave and be exposed to the user. M/S needs some thought though. Personally I'd want to have a slightly different peak-remap shape on the sides as the mid, so that might need some further reaching changes or become the subject of a dedicated use of the Trajectory and Peak Remapping algos all of its own.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Dave
Loving the interaction here.

Check out the source code for SoftGate by Airwindows for a nice method for gating. He just asks for credit.

I've only seen one developer integrate one of Chris's algorithms and that was for DitherFloat inside one of LVC's plugins.