View Single Post
Old 24th July 2020 | Show parent

Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik0 View Post
True. Worked on basically everything... drums, percussions, bass, vocals, gtrs.

My "only" issue is that so far I cannot predict what the various electronic component switches do (other than the valve one... that's kind of clear -- other than the fact that I was under the impression that ECC83 and 12AX7 should be kind of the same valve... to me it sounds like a "british" vs. "american" voicing, the ECC83 being a bit warmer and grittier; whether that's the original intention or not, works for me, at least as a starting point).

For the others, however, I simply end up trying them, but I still have not figured how to "predict" what kind of colour they will provide -- probably did not do enough electronics --.

Other than that, what's with oversampling? What does it mean "broken"?
TBH, feels weird that 16x OS does not hit the CPU in the least. Perhaps because it is not really doing it?
Hey there,

In the manual for the PSC there are some descriptions of what the various swappable components do, but the aural effects are hard to predict because a lot of how things will sound is dependent on the signal itself, the amount of gain through the plugin, etc.

Manual -> https://korneffaudio.com/wp-content/...2-0-manual.pdf

The PSC has very complex modeling such that it its “tubes” and “transformers” behave like their real world counterparts. Unlike a lot of plugins, the swappable components don’t simple shelve off 2dB at 18kHz or what have you. In the PSC, the effect on a signal might happen principally when the gain reaches a certain level, but that might depend on frequency response of the signal as well.

That being said, 12AX7 in mostly neutral in gain and color, the ECC83 has a lot more gain and if you push it hard you’lll really hear the difference between the two, and the 5751 has considerably less gain than the other two AND has a slight high end loss going on. I think like this with the tubes:

12AX7 = normal
ECC83 = hard
5751 = mellow or soft

Not very scientific but it helps my thinking when I’m using the piece.

The transformers are even more difficult to quantify. Sometimes the difference between the three are glaringly obvious, but very often you can’t hear it, and this is exactly like how transformers are in real life.

From the manual: Nickel has a flat response, Iron is bright and tight sounding, and Steel is round, dark and has a low end bump.

My thinking is:
Nickel = normal
Iron = lean
Steel = fat

However, there are definitely times when I can’t hear a difference, or I hear almost the opposite happening.

The swappable FET’s are very subtle, except when they aren’t subtle. The 2N5486 is predictable. It’s punchy and its response makes the PSC work in a manner similar to that of an 1176. 90% of the time that is how I have it set. The 2N3820 usually sounds less punchy to my ears, but the release “feels” different. Sometimes it makes the PSC more "LA-2a” like, but other times really the opposite.

The resistors - I think of them in terms of age. Carbon sounds old, metal film sounds new, I tend to leave them on metal film because the biggest effect of the resistors in way up in the high end. However... the carbon works nice when a vocal is a bit harsh. In fact, Carbon, 5751, and Steel is my default for vocals in the mix.

A last thing: play with the Operating Level control. And not by cranking it up, but by just barely cracking it open. Crank it, you’ll be rewarded by huge amounts of a very specific kind of distortion. At low settings, though, it seems to add a touch of presence to a signal - excellent for making a high value part stick out a bit in the mix.

Oversampling isn’t working consistently and we are preparing an update as I write this.

Hope this helps. Your questions and comments are much appreciated.

Luke
Korneff Audio