View Single Post
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quick Update.

There is only one issue that basically sucks for me. The Mini needs an HDMI monitor plugged into during boot up. I have to pull one of the cables from the eGPU and plug it into the back of the rackmount chassis' HDMI port. I tried using an emulator, but unfortunately the Mini alway wants to use it as the primary. Thus, it works to boot, and I get two Catalina screens on my monitors. However, neither of them is the primary, and thus I can't login.

It seems to be fine if I switch the cables for boot and then afterwards plug it back into the eGPU. It's a bit annoying, but it's not a deal-breaker.

The performance so far with my setup has been great. I'm using Logic Pro X, and I haven't yet run into anything. I haven't taxed it fully yet, but to date, I have not run into any issues with the HDSP or the eGPU. I was thinking that something would certainly not work, but so far, so good. The eGPU seemed to fix any weird issues I was having when trying to run two (video) monitors with a TB3-to-HDMI adapter.