View Single Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAGG View Post
Hi Jens!
Hell-o!

Quote:
What is your philosophy on low cutting distorted Metal/Rock rhythm guitars (in relationship to the tuning of the guitars)?
I tend to do it, either with the (quite low q:ed) HP-filter in SSL4k, or a bit steeper with something like FabFilter or Digital V3. I don't ALWAYS do it though, it depends. What I usually do is that I try some different low-cuts (A-B testing), with or without a general 180 degree phase shift of the track. That can matter how it's coming through against other low-end heavy tracks in the mix.

In fact, checking the "absolute phase" is something I tend to do on many elements in the mix. As well as on the main mix while mastering. I'm not sure if this would make a massive difference, but it does make a difference in my listening environment, and thus it will affect the way I approach the track.

Quote:
Would you sacrifice clarity for "vibe"?
Yes, of course. Clarity is not my main goal. It's usually a result of what I end up with, but whatever I can do to "vibe" things up has certainly preceded clarity.

Quote:
How far up would you go with you low cut filters und which Slope (dB/oct) do you prefer.
I most of the time end at about 100Hz (24db/oct) because i like clarity but I'm
not sure if thats always the right path to follow.
I have no rule, really. I do tend to stay lower than 24dB, though, usually 12 or 18. Phase shift gets higher the higher you go with the Q, and I wouldn't even think of using a "brick wall" low cut. On masters, I tend to try between some various low cuts (if needed), including linear phase ones (if ripple can be kept low).

Quote:
How do you manage the interaction between bass and guitars? In other words,
what do you want to hear from each of them?
I want the guitars to sound fat but distinct and "cool". My goal sound for bass is for it to be even, have some nice bark in the mids, and that nice expensive string sound that you can get by hi-passing a Di track really high up, like 5k.

I like tube amps like Ampeg, I love using guitar heads too, and I'm a fan of SansAmp.

Quote:
Do you ever monitor in mono during this decisions?
Sometimes I do, yes. It can help with clearing up low end and low mid. But I mix 99% in stereo.