View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
So I have JRiver configured as the Windows Default Audio Device and its output points to ASIO.

If JRiver is not running - you will not hear any sound from Windows programs.

With Pro Tools not running:
I can run JRiver and play media through its WDM to the UR824 ASIO.

With JRiver not running:
I can run Pro Tools through the ASIO driver.

In other words, the both seem to cleanly release the ASIO interface and you can run them orthogonally.

If I open JRiver when Pro Tools is already running, it comes up. But running an audio stream to the WMD results trying to open an audio path to ASIO, but it just waits there. If I close Pro Tools, it completes the open and starts playing (kind of nice).

If I open Pro Tools while JRiver is running (and playing), Pro Tools comes up. If I open a session, I get an error about not be able to map the I/O. The reason this happens is that the session tried to get the Playback Engine it was configured for (Steinberg ASIO), found it was not available, and switched to another Playback engine in the list. One time, it picked JRiver WMD. One time it Picked ASIO4All. Once there, its mapping did not match what it was expecting.

First Recovery Options:
Close the Pro Tools Session without saving.
Close JRiver
Reopen the Session

Second Recovery Option:
If you managed to close the session with a save, it will remember the change to the playback engine and you will get an error the next time you open it.
Close JRiver
Open the session
Dismiss the error
Let the session finish opening.
Hardware>Playback Engine: Select the correct ASIO interface you want.
Pro Tools will save and reopen the session and it should be OK.

I've installed the Steinberg ASIO Multi-Server also. I'm not seeing it in the selection list of ASIO Interfaces on Pro Tools or JRiver so I haven't tried it. Using the programs orthogonally not a problem for me so I leave it at this point.

--------
The following is some speculation on my part - I have not seen any of the problems described or tried any software mentioned.
-------
One thing that may cause a potential problem. If you use JRiver to play media in it's library when it is pointing to an ASIO interface, it will change the ASIO device's (e.g. UR824's) sample rate to match the sample rate of the media it is playing through the library (e.g. it sets it to 44.1 kHz when playing a CD). This is probably a smart thing for a media player that supports multiple audio formats with different sample rates. But, depending where you leave things, it may have changed the sample rate on the audio device to be something other than you want for some other application (like Pro Tools). So maybe its best to set the UR824 sample rate as required after you close MC and before you start a DAW (e.g Pro Tools). My guess is you could do this while Pro Tools is running with the session is closed and then reopen the session. I read that the Steinberg multi-client ASIO Interface expects you to NOT change the sample rate of the ASIO Device (UR824) from an application (because the other clients may not be able to deal with it dynamically changing). I think VB Audio's VB-Cable in conjunction with their Hi-Fi Cable (Audio Bridge) might allow two clients to an ASIO device to have different sample rates - I'm thinking of Pro Tools as one client and MC as the other. But I haven't tried it and don't know if it will provide a 'virtual control interface' for the clients, whether its conversion would have any measurable effect, or whether any latency in those products would cause a problem for Pro Tools and its delay compensation.
I was not aware that you could use JRiver like this. I thought it was just to play Video or Audio files. But this is a nice way to handle things. Specially if you can get Netflix to play in Surround Sound. I will see if I can do this and avoid having to use the HDMI Audio Extractor as that doesn't sound as good in my setup. (reduced volume and introduces hiss).
I'd like to see if my Plex App can also output surround sound, like the Netflix app can. Thanks for the info.