View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
What were we supposed to be hearing there?

(I did think the veiled, phasey sound of the third example [Lexicon Native through buss 0% effect] was quite peculiar. But I wasn't sure how we were supposed to perceive the latency you mentioned in the post.)
Peculiar? That's what latency sounds like with one track unprocessed and the other dry and through a plugin. We're getting that all the time when we use plugins. We're just not always aware of it. And low latency is not "no latency". It helps to some degree but latency is a fact of life in multitrack digital recording and processing period.

With digital recording, we've been able to achieve a lot of benefits over analog (tape in particular), but there's still a ways to go. It isn't perfect.

And Joeq, some of the problems we had in 1999 are still with us. It's far better than it was, it's more refined, but the fundamental flaws are still there. Let's see what happens in 2040. We'll probably be laughing at how bad digital recording was back in 2020. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet on it. And if I'm wrong, I hope I'm around for you to collect on that debt, but I wouldn't count on it. Looking forward to my 30 year badge.

Last edited by voodoo4u; 2nd July 2020 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: typo