View Single Post
Old 1st July 2020
Here for the gear

I've been mixing on headphones quite a bit in the past couple of years and have arrived at a couple conclusions, all of which, admittedly, are not market driven or targeted to audiophiles and industry professionals.

The first is that mixing exclusively on headphones is entirely acceptable, and can work just fine. I do use studio monitors as well and listen to mixes on other sources like car stereos. I have also used speaker simulation software, though not the ones you specifically mention. This approach and practice doesn't require a particularly sophisticated explanation and seems like a common sense one, but it is not mandatory for good results.

The second is that the type of headphone you are using does not necessarily make for better results. I have also used the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms version, as well as the Sennheiser HD280 pros. I found them both to be very useful for mixing, though slightly different. I have also used the DT990's and the Sennheiser HD600's, which are both open back models.

So, my conclusions are rooted in the generally supported practice of using reference tracks to assist you with your mixes. When I used a particular set of headphones enough for casual listening, I learned their sound. I particularly liked the way the Sennheiser HD280 pro sounded on guitar oriented rock music. So I'd listen to that type of reference track on the 280 pros to mix that type of music. It seemed reasonable to assume that if I liked the way a reference track sounded on a particular set of phones or speakers then I could use them for mixing as well?