View Single Post
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Mixing with headphones in 2020

Hey all!

Wow, it has been a very, very long time since I last logged in. Years. There are a bunch of new forums here that I don't recognize! Wanted to get some input from those who do a lot of mixing on headphones.

I find myself in a new living situation where I'm mixing on headphones 100% of the time. I currently have a couple of pairs I'm switching between for perspective - my trusty old 80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770's, and a recently acquired pair of AT M50x's.

My next purchase will definitely be a pair of open back headphones - I really like Grado SR80's for listening, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them as far as mixing goes. I'm a big fan of the Beyerdynamics and my ears are familiar with their sonic profile, so a pair of 990's is also in serious consideration.

My other big question is regarding Sonarworks, Can Opener, and Waves Abbey Road Studio 3. These corrective headphone plugins are essentially a whole new world to me, and I'd love to know who's a fan of which of these, and why. I suppose you likely have to go in blind and demo them all to see which will work for your ears, but I'd definitely welcome any feedback on these three.

Be well in these crazy times,
Kris