View Single Post
Old 30th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
What led you to building a large, metal focused studio, amidst what is a challenging time for studios to be profitable?
Thanks, man. Well, I think the bottom line is that I'm a crazy person. :-)

Well, this is hopefully the last studio that I build. I identified the current and probable future need for my business (myself and my employees, there are 3 of them right now) and decided to build something that I can stay happy with. This is a ground up facility, built in a way that could serve a use as an investment also beyond using it as a studio, should it come to that.

One other key factor is that it's not a commercial studio per se: it's a tool for us who work there to use, like a private studio. Renting out the place as a studio for other producers and artists would never work in today's climate, as you say.

Quote:
Are there any unique construction details you would like to highlight?
It was nice to be able to design everything based on the 20 years of experience of how I want a facility to function. Things that I usually find are subpar in studios are e.g. quiet, proper ventilation, and cooling. Other things that artists will appreciate are five individual bedrooms and a nice living area connected to the studio. At the end of the day, the artist will care more about the ability to do laundry and having access to a good dishwasher than what compressors you have.

The actual control room designs are a treat, though. Drawn by Jens Eklund from Resonator/Holonor, the design includes custom stereo subs for three main control rooms and perfectly tuned main speaker systems from Amphion. The approach of delivering subs custom for each room has resulted in amazing low end performance.

Quote:
Are you making any major gear changes during this time, such as monitors, tracking gear, etc?
There will be some changes, but I'm not sure of what exactly. I'm moving in permanently during the summer, so we'll see what I'll need.
I am, however, changing my interfaces to Lynx Aurora N in the mix/tracking rooms, and Lynx HiLo over Dante in the mastering room.