View Single Post
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanschnider View Post
Hey everyone. Ive seen a few of these posts regarding these monitors, but nothing comparing them to a modern-day monitor.

Im looking at upgrading my monitoring system from a pair of KRK-R6s.

My room is 18ft x 16ft. I might be breaking through the one wall and making the room longer in the nearby future.

Ive come across a deal on a pair of 215 DMTs + Crest Audio CC151 amp for $1700.

My question is, would something like a pair of ADAM A77X's be a better choice? I see a few studios still using the Tannoy's. Would I benefit from having these + a nearfield system, or should I just go with the ADAM set as my only system?

Has anyone got any experience with both of these monitors?

Is anyone still using these that can give me their opinion on mixing modern music on them? Pop, rock ballads, electronica etc.

Thanks!
i got to use the 215's in several studios when they were hip and still i own and use seven system 10 dmt II speakers (which i use as mains in my 7.1.4 setup).

horn loaded speakers are clearly not everyone's choice - i love them, especially coax designs which imo are unrivalled for surround in terms of localisation in the surround field (and of course the same applies to stereo)!

however, i would strongly recommend to drive them 2-ways and use an external speaker processor (or amps with built-in dsp).. - then, they can easily outperform many way more modern speakers!