View Single Post
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxbooks View Post
Hi folks. Was hoping somebody could confirm whether or not these PC specs will suffice for my purposes.
I'm thinking of buying a Dell OptiPlex 3020 SFF i5-4590 [Quad] 3.30GHz, 8GB RAM with a 128GB SSD.

I use Reaper, mostly with hardware rather than VST instruments when I produce, and when it comes to mixing I don't go overboard with FX either - usually I average out at about 3 VSTs per track. I do want to explore VSTis and sample-based production more though, and I am wondering if these specs will suffice or if I am likely to run into problems further down the line.

Would be grateful for any tips!

P.S I have already considered i7 instead of i5 for CPU, and 16GB RAM, but this pushes the price nearer to 250 USD (or £200 as I'm in the UK) and I'm reluctant to spend that much at the moment.
I would love to know where you're seeing an i7 with 16GB RAM for $250! Black market?

The answer depends largely on how many tracks you expect to have for a given song, but yeah that is probably fine.

btw i7 vs i5 is only part of the equation - at least as important is what the chipset is (3000 series, 4000, etc).