View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
if I change the Bit Depth to 24 Bit within the Session Settings box, this only means that NEW audio, any bounces, or anything I run out through my hardware will be printed at 24 bit...but the original files will stay at 16 bit, correct? If so, that's great.
I believe so. If not then PT should ask you to confirm or whatever. I suppose you could try it real quick by importing one of the files into a new session and just switch the depth and then look at the audio files folder to see if a new file was created.

Quote:
Also, will my print (summed through outboard and back in) or any ITB bounces I do also be at 24 bit?
I believe so. It should record at whatever you've set your depth to.

Quote:
Last, does changing the session settings to 24 bit allow all of my plugins and processing to run at a higher resolution, or does Pro Tools do that automatically...?

Thanks!
If you're running recent PT (anything beyond v10) then everything should run at 32-bit floating point internally regardless of what you store audio at. At least 32-bit float (not sure about 64-bit... but... it's not like it matters that much).