View Single Post
Old 17th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustin187 View Post
How are you using the Phoenix - drum bus - individual things? Mix bus?
What kinds of music?
And what other comps do you have or have a good grasp of.
I bought mine assuming I’d slap it on and leave it in my mix bus. But maybe I’m being short sighted. Of course the ear and studio fun doesn’t need to stop there.
I have only been using the Pheonix on the front end while tracking so far because that’s what I was working on when it arrived.
I’ve had (and sold) a stereo pair of distressors for many years and also API2500 which I still have.

I’m finding Vari mu compression very different from VCA compression which all of my experience is based on. Specifically the relationship between the input knob & threshold, increasing input adds colour or character but also increases the compression ratio as the signal goes higher above the threshold. The first couple times I used it I was a bit underwhelmed tbh BUT as I got to know how to use it Ive been liking it more and more. I find it rather transparent but it makes things bigger and more euphonic, I’m very rarely doing heavy compression on anything but I don’t think the Pheonix has such a heavy colour as say the api2500. When set right the Pheonix makes whatever signal you are putting through it better, it’s a really nice piece IMO.

Now, as I understand it it shines on individual sources, drums and 2bus. I too bought it for 2 bus duties but I also bought it so it can serve double duties, drums & tracking sometimes. I’ve heard a clean solid state EQ before the Pheonix on 2bus is a good combo, I will try this with my mini massive. I’m also going to be trying drum bus, api2500 > Pheonix both doing only about 1db of compression. I’ve also got to try it out in standby mode using it for tube distortion/saturation pushing the input and maybe blending in parallel with the dry signal.

As you said I will try it out in some different chains and scenarios and see where it wants to be most of the time.

D.