View Single Post
Old 11th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Help With My New Studio Build

Hi All,
I am in the process of buying a new home & would like to convert a portion of it to a home recording studio. It's been a dream of mine for decades so I'm thrilled to finally be able to do it.

For starters, some info: A previous owner built an extension to the house which includes a second living room and a 22'x24' two car garage. The second living room is adjacent to the garage. As such my plan is to convert this living room into my control/mixing room and the garage to a live room.

I've spent a few hundred hours researching, reading, watching videos etc & have (I think) a fairly firm grasp on at least some of the concepts I'll need to know (room within a room for the garage/live room for one) - I won't know until after I close on the house what my budget is going to be but I have a feeling I'll have to do this in stages. Since the vast majority of what I do is control room based I want to focus on that first.

Some details on the house: square footage of the entire house (excluding the garage) is 2133 sq/ft. I'm not married, no kids and will be living alone so noise within the house isn't going to be a concern. The house is on what I assume to be a hollow block or concrete foundation. It's not high enough to crawl under but it's also not on a flat slab so I assume it to be hollow underneath. I will attach a photo for a more clear understanding.

I can't get into the house to measure so I don't know exact dimensions but I can guestimate - since the length of the room is the depth of the garage, that would make it 24 feet in length. The width, I'm guessing, would be around 15 feet. As far as I can tell the ceiling is 8ft.

Again, I'll attach a couple photos I snagged from the listing site that show the room. The furnishings and paint are from the previous owner so no judging LOL!!!!

My plan is to set up facing the windows, towards where the two recliners are in the pic, 1/3 of the length of the room from the wall. From there things are still a little foggy because I can't actually get in there to measure, plan etc.

BTW - the door next to the recliners is the main entrance to the house so I can't remove that. My plan is to put up a wall, in three sections at different angles (1 flat the other two angled out) then put up side walls, splayed so that 1st reflections aren't shooting right back at my listening position.

Because there's not a ton of width my thinking is to splay it in 2 or 3 sections (shown in a screen grab I did from a video on Truesound Studios YouTube channel - seems like a good way to get the splay with the limited width of the room. I'll add a door to one of the splayed walls so I still have that as access to the house. During my initial viewing of the house my realtor (who is also my singer - probably the most powerful voice of anyone I've ever worked with - with the possible exception of Brian Howe, God rest his soul) had me go outside while he sang at the top of his lungs inside that room - I could hear him but just barely. I know that doesn't account for lower frequencies, but it did show me the house is well built & insulated well. As such I don't think I'll need to double up on the doors there, but I do plan to plug the windows since there'll be a wall there anyhow.

Currently the room is carpeted - from the reading I've done I'll probably be replacing that (doesn't have a very rock & roll vibe anyhow LOL). Since I'm not trying to keep the noise from the rest of the house (no one to disturb) I don't think I'll need to float the floor. I'm fairly certain the subfloor is wood. Since the house is sitting on a hollow foundation, would I be best served by putting down a layer of MLV before the flooring or am I ok just going with the flooring?

In one of the photos you'll notice a little alcove with a window and door. That door accesses the garage. I'm fairly sure I'm going to put a wall and door there so there's no alcove & also creating a sort of sound lock (is that even a term?) area between the live room and mix room.

And finally - since I'm going to be building walls, and since the ceiling is 8ft, which I've read is not good, would it be worth my time and money to build a second ceiling to further isolate to knock down a little more noise as well as get the height off of the 8ft mark? I don't think it'd matter with regard to the relation to the live room as that will be a room within a room.

The final (aerial) photo shows the house in relation to the neighbors,.

I realize I can't do this all myself, thankfully my drummer is a master carpenter & my former soundman and great friend is a licensed electrician & both have offered to help.

So...does this seem like a decent plan or is my thinking not so good. With my recently gained limited knowledge, it SEEMS sound but that's just it - SEEMS might not be good enough.

i'd really like to get the opinions of Rod Gervais & Ethan Winer and any others who have expertise in this stuff.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Help With My New Studio Build-screen-shot-2020-06-11-11.07.59-am.jpg   Help With My New Studio Build-screen-shot-2020-06-11-11.09.08-am.jpg   Help With My New Studio Build-screen-shot-2020-06-11-11.10.06-am.jpg   Help With My New Studio Build-screen-shot-2020-06-11-11.36.48-am.jpg   Help With My New Studio Build-screen-shot-2020-06-11-12.07.09-pm.jpg