View Single Post
Old 6th June 2020
Lives for gear

Crane Song Egret Alternatives?

Hi there guys,

I was looking for a good analog summing mixer and I wanted one with it´s own AD/DA converters so I would have a standalone unit (would not need to buy DA converters or an audio interface just to feed analog signal to it). This way it would work as an audio interface too.

So far the best option I found is the Crane Song Egret:

Not only it has analog inputs, it also has digital ADAT input (so the digital signal is converted to analog by the unit to do the summing.) I also loved the fact it has an extra pair of outputs for monitoring (so I can have two pair of monitors), and has headphone out (and also has outs and ins for external gear, but this I don´t care about). The saturation effect is a nice plus.

I would only need to get a cheap simple ADAT audio interface for my PC to send the signal to the Egret (like a PCI soundcard with ADAT out - in the case there is no motherboard with ADAT out), saving money on extra audio interface or DA converters.

So, I would like to know if anyone knows another gear in the same level of the Egret? One with USB input would be even better. (one that can receive audio via USB, convert to analog and do the summing).

Best regards