View Single Post
Old 5th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
If I was going to self master, I’d probably mix differently. For example, I mix my kick level to -3 VU, which is roughly a peak of -12 in the DAW. Leaves plenty of headroom for the Mastering engineer.

I don’t have the level of gear of the ME, the room or the ability to hear the song fresh again. So shooting to get it louder, I’d probably over squeeze it without realizing it.

To take that out of the equation, I’d probably mix my kick to -6db and balance everything from there. Not much headroom in that case and less chance of me ruining the mix with my hack job mastering.
This is an interesting perspective as it relates to my process. I keep my peaks at never passing -18dbfs by force of habit and to allow for dynamic range. In the past my tracks have been mastered by a third party.

If I try and make up that much gain, having not heard the track fresh eared like the ME, you think I'll inevitably punish the track more than they do?

If you mix in the DAW, what's the difference between setting kick peak at -12, then bringing whole lot up to -6 before your pre master render over doing doing it 'in mix'?

Other than the psychological effect of 'no fresh ears' , in digital, headroom is headroom, right?