View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Nut

Acoustic Treatment for Drums within New Studio

HI guys,

Would massssively appreciate any guidance on a new studio set-up - specifically regarding drums and acoustic treatment. I have attached photos below along with a VERY crude diagram of a possible set-up i would love some guidance on.

So basically I have moved into a new studio and have one neighbour on the other side of the left wall (seen in pics and shown as large red cross on diagram). Luckily my flat is a renovated old barn so has nice and thick period English walling along with the wall of next door between me and said neighbour. However, i am still slightly worried about noise when drumming and want to do as much as possible to lessen the issue.

In terms of positioning I'm thinking having the drums tucked into the right hand corner of the room facing perpendicular to the neighbours wall is best (see shoddy diagram) - as it is far away from the offending wall (for vibrations) and not facing the wall to reduce noise impact. Secondly, I have some pretty decent DIY bass traps which i was planning on fixing together and using as a gobo (blue blob in diagram) to almost create a wall of sound insulation between the drums and the neighbour.

Lastly I have thick carpet which i guess is good to soak up vibrations, however doing a bit of research i'm guessing making a drum riser wouldn't hurt either?!

Would hugely appreciate any guidance from wiser heads than myself on the matter. I could be totally wrong with all of my thoughts so far so please let me know if so and what you would do differently - totally open to suggestions.

It is worth noting i drum mainly jazz and hip hop style so its never totally smash and bang drumming - normally quite the opposite.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic Treatment for Drums within New Studio-img_0356-3.jpg   Acoustic Treatment for Drums within New Studio-img_0342.jpg   Acoustic Treatment for Drums within New Studio-img_8904.jpg   Acoustic Treatment for Drums within New Studio-img_3020-3.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf studio drum set-up.pdf (1.81 MB, 12 views)